Organize Simplify Create Design

It is perpetual, living life and keeping it simple. Peace of mind comes from having a place for things. As I watched "Horton Hears a Who", with my grandchildren I thought about no matter how "tiny" the thing, it deserves a home. So I live by the old adage, a place for everything and everything in its respective place...

About Me

My photo
Houston, Texas, United States
Ten things I am or have been: 1 Wife, 2 Mother of five, 3 Grandmother of 16, 4 Hair Dresser, 5 Bookkeeper 6 Bank Teller, 7 Scrapbook Store Owner, 8 Reporter, 9 Gardener, 10 Photographer,

Friday, September 28, 2012

Make your window treatment sing

These were my simple window toppers. I have loved them for many years. Each of our three bay windows had a matching valance like this. My bar stools are covered in the plaid, the beautiful garden print spilling out of the pleated corners and used as cording matched the glass dining table chairs. The beige linen could not have been a closer match to my den walls that coordinate the combined space.

Now the makeover
Changing to my Farmhouse, Shabby Chic feel that is creeping in to each corner of our space
:)
I planned to use shutters beside the center window, as you may have noticed in a previous post. This is the left window. I chose these metal shelves sold by Hobby Lobby since the width of them perfectly hid the wooden blinds when I want full light. For now I have left them in the bronzed finish as they came. I loved this biscuits and gravy sign so much I bought each of my kids one. (Kind of goes along with a family tradition where we tell each other "I love you like.....(whatever your favorite thing might be)" I found this on Decor Steals. I'm hooked on their deals! Not getting paid to say that either.
The little clock is something I picked up for a couple of bucks on clearance. The lunch box belonged to Nick's dad. :)

As you will see, I have two drying racks on the top of two old fence boards, supported by wrought iron  shelf supports. (Confession, the fence boards are not really old. I found a great way to distress them into looking old.....yep, on Pinterest of course.)
The lovely wreath I just bought at Garden Ridge on a sale table for a couple of bucks! The Bouquet sign I found at our local Restore. If you haven't been to your Restore you best look into it. I got my shutters there too! $5 That little green wood crate came with a flower arrangement someone sent me.
Let's stand back with a view of the middle shelf. 
A lantern perches on the opposite end of the shelf. Shelf positioned to hide blind when pulled all the way up. Me likey! :)
This is above the right side window. I love enamelware, thus the colander and tray with Bluebonnets painted on it. (I was thrilled to find this at the Bluebonnet Festival this year). Number 4 galvanized vase came from Micheal's. (on sale...big grin) I'm not sure what all the numbers out there are for in decor these days. You can be sure though that I have a couple of number 5's hanging around because of my 5 fabulous children, now grown. 

Ok now for a full step back view of the breakfast as it is now.

It's very cozy here. Still working on my 2 antique breakfast chairs for this room.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments or feedback, add requests or ask questions! I'd love to hear from my readers.