Organize Simplify Create Design

It is perpetual, living life and keeping it simple. Peace of mind comes from having a place for things. As I watched "Horton Hears a Who", with my grandchildren I thought about no matter how "tiny" the thing, it deserves a home. So I live by the old adage, a place for everything and everything in its respective place...

About Me

My photo
Houston, Texas, United States
Ten things I am or have been: 1 Wife, 2 Mother of five, 3 Grandmother of 16, 4 Hair Dresser, 5 Bookkeeper 6 Bank Teller, 7 Scrapbook Store Owner, 8 Reporter, 9 Gardener, 10 Photographer,

Friday, July 23, 2010

If you go to Louisiana

We lived a good portion of our raising children life in the heart of Cajun Country! My husband hails from a long line of southerners and loves his southern comfort foods. He also loves hot peppers and spice! He thinks I'm "hot" that's why we are still together! :)
I love the natural flavors in food, but I also have studied herbs and spices to learn what seasonings will enhance those natural flavors.I grow a lot of my own peppers and herbs as well and have learned how to dry them.  So what does this have to do with organizing you may ask?
Confession: I alphabetize my spices.
When you see how many I have you will see why. There are a multitude of spice racks out there,  so you choose what is best for you, judging on how many you want to store and whether or not you like them out on the counter or not. I prefer these acrylic storage racks available at The Container StoreHerbs and spice have a limited shelf life too so keeping them out of direct light is important to me.


So here is a view inside my spice cabinet. Yes, I'm obsessed.
Hint: There is enough room behind these racks to store extra spice for refills. Behind the large containers I have seldom used items. I always try not to store things where you have to constantly shuffle items to find what you need. Things you use all the time should be in clear view and within easy reach. 


One of my favorite cookbooks, Talk About Good!








Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you have your spices! I have been using lazy susans and getting tired of having to catch stuff that falls as I turn the darn things. One question though - how do you have your spice racks mounted to the cabinet doors without the screws/nails showing through to the front? Thanks for all of these wonderful organizational ideas/photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me Katherine, I have "been there done that" with the turntable thing, I know exactly what you're saying! When I wanted to mount these, my dh balked, then he said it couldn't be done because the screw would poke through.
    I patiently explained that if he cut a board out of some shelving material we had that matched the cabinet color, that he could screw that into the thicker part of the door and then in-turn mount the spice shelf to the board. It worked perfectly!
    If you decide to do it this way, note that you must have enough room in the front of your shelf for the door to close. Make sense?
    The ones that sit on your shelf just stand on their own and are not mounted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm still using turn tables, but it works...for now! :) that's just cause i am boring and only use like 10 spices to cook. HA!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments or feedback, add requests or ask questions! I'd love to hear from my readers.